Peter's Church, Budleigh Salterton
St. Peter's Church in Budleigh
Salterton was consecrated in 1893 after a certain amount of delay
and problems in its construction. All the stone used came from
quarries in either Devon or Somerset, and the bricks used were
from the local brickworks at Otterton.
The design is of Early English
type, the plan is in the main cruciform having a nave of five
bays. The floor of the sanctuary is of polished marble and the
first impression within the Church is one of size and space which
is not over-obstructed by the slender piers and lancet arches.
The addition of fine carved reredos
in 1931 made a dramatic feature in the East end. Nine mosaic panels
depicting New Testament scenes are positioned around the Nave
and were added over a period of time in the first half of the
Some minor changes have been made
to the immediate exterior of the Church in recent years but the
overall appearance is unchanged.
The Peter Hall, adjacent to the
church can be booked for functions.
We invite visitors to join us
at our services - for details of service times, please click
here. Or for more information about the Church, services and
events, visit their website at www.stpeterbs.org.uk/